Every marketer struggles to keep up with the fast pace of change in digital marketing and a host of new technologies and feature rich social platforms. The pace of change continues to accelerate. For that matter, marketers are under significant pressure to generate a return and demonstrate the relevance of their marketing campaigns – calculating the value of social media and its impact on the sales pipeline.
It’s for this reason we’re launching a weekly industry roundup that provides links to the most important and current industry developments with some perspective on how it moves the needle towards a social business model.
Social Organization, Governance & SMM
(Com-batting brand anarchy by defining internal structure and ensuring the right rules and guidance are in place to protect both the brand itself and the people behind the social activity.)
- 5 Must-Haves For Your Brand’s Social Media Policy
- Altimeter Research: Social Business Spreads Across The Enterprise
- Use Social Strategy To Focus Your Leadership, Board
Social Media Management
(Orchestrating multiple people having multiple conversations across multiple accounts on behalf of your brand by implementing workflows, approval paths, and coordinated content distribution.)
- The Forrester Wave™: Social Relationship Platforms, Q2 2013: The Eight Providers That Matter Most And How They Stack Up
Measurement & Reporting
(Social media measurement to create a goal-oriented analysis of your social program performance.)
- Inside Mastercard’s Social Command Center
- Twitter acquires big data analysis company Lucky Sort for its revenue engineering department
(The tools you’ll need to listen/monitor, manage and syndicate your social media mix focused on the people, conversations, and relevant activity about your brand can yield valuable insights to understand past events, inform current decisions, and improve future outcomes.)
- 10 Developer Tips To Build A Responsive Website [Infographic]
- CMOs Must Fully Embrace New Technology, or Fail, And They Know It
Content Marketing & Social Strategy
(Creating and curating great content for social distribution and how to converse with customers in ways that create value for your network and achieve social business objectives are essential components of an integrated marketing strategy – understanding that social is the convergent force behind digital channel alignment.)
- The Crossroads of Influence Marketing
- What Would Ashton Do—and Does It Matter?
- Infographic On Content Marketing And Curation
- The Secret Recipe for Viral Content Marketing Success
- Why It Pays To Be Likeable
- The Content Marketing Hall of Fame: 13 Ways to Build Your Business
Social Engagement & Community
(Creating meaningful experiences on social channels that engage your audiences, inspire action, and build brand awareness and loyalty.)
Social Selling – Audience Segmentation and Targeting Social Audiences
(Segmenting audiences based on demographic and technographic data provided by social networks and how to target tailored messages to individual segments both in the sales and customer retention practices.)
- The Key to Successful Marketing: Your Unique Selling Proposition
- How to Integrate Ratings and Reviews Into Your Social Marketing Programs
Media Mix Optimization
(Combining owned assets with earned audience interactions and paid advertising to optimize social business efforts.)
- Local Search Is Becoming a Mobile Experience With a Social Layer
- Why Craft-Brew Shiner’s Bigger Footprint Won’t Include a TV Buy
- Forrester Mobile Trends 2013 (pdf)
- Reports: Facebook Is Buying Social Mapping/Traffic App Waze For Up To $1B To Court Mobile Users
- Square sets its sights on check-ins: ‘We can do something better’
- How An Ex-Googler Built Facebook For Glass
- LinkedIn, On The Lookout For More Stickiness, Adds Channels With Curated Content On LinkedIn Today
- Facebook Rolling Out Video Ads to News Feeds – Social network gives brands four demographics to target with 15-second spots
- Which Social Networks Are Growing Fastest Worldwide?
Stats to Build the Social Business Case
- 15 Twitter Stats Brands Should Know
- 15 Stats Brands Should Know About YouTube
- Report: Google+ Visitors Spent an Average of About 7 Minutes on the Site in March
Today, social media success means something different to every organization. Brands participate in social to build customer loyalty, drive sales, support customers, or interact with their community. Although social business goals are different in every company, the path to success is always the same. It requires that a brand understand and segment audiences, engage them in meaningful ways, and measure the return on that engagement, all of which is incredibly challenging for the average social team.
A social business model integrates and aligns internal and external customer engagement connects social to the heart of any business and helps teams regain the bandwidth they need to think more strategically about their social programs.
Additions & Feedback
If you have additional links, sources or ideas that you think would be helpful, please comment below or tag me in Google+.