Last weekend in a fit of boredom and procrastination I decided to follow around 1000 Twitter members on my twitter account just to see what would happen. It took me about an hour and a half to add 1000 members but it gave me something to do besides school work and unpacking.
Statistically the results can be measured as:
1) I gained over 300 new followers on Twitter, basically gave me a 33% success rate. In all my time of playing around on social networking sites that is the highest rate of acceptance I have seen.
2) I received over 400 page views to my blog within a week of adding these Twitter members.
3) There was a small bump in RSS subscribers to my site, but I can’t say with any certainty that it was from twitter followers.
Socially what did I gain:
1) I found a lot of new people with interesting things to say and interesting blogs to read.
2) I exposed myself to a new and different community outside of my current sphere.
3) I learned that I can learn a lot by listening and reading throughout the day.
What is the long tail?
1) Continued growth and meeting people outside of my current circle.
2) A continued source of traffic, people have picked up on posts I have written and shared them with others. Not to mention the sharing of social bookmarking, from getting diggs to getting stumbled.
3) Having a source for post inspiration, a break from work, and a place where I can share ideas with people and read what they have to say.
I used to be really down on twitter as being a waste… I shouldn’t say twitter I should say microblogging in general. Personally I just needed to learn that just like any other social media your appreciation of it and the results you garner from it are based off of participation.
If you want to follow me on twitter I can be found at twitter.com/kp2575… I add everyone that follows me.